Man Electrocuted Trimming Yard Trees

There is considerable satisfaction in taking care of do-it-yourself chores that fix a problem and save some bucks. But, even the best plans can quickly go awry if such activities are not preceded by careful planning. On the afternoon of Wednesday, August 26th, a 62-year-old man living in the 12700 block of Grand Teton Trail in the Eagle Springs subdivision of Atascocita in north Harris County went out with a chainsaw and a 12’ aluminum ladder to trim some tree branches in his back yard in anticipation of possible high winds from Hurricane Laura. His wife remained inside their home and, though she noticed a bright flash in the back yard, the lights stayed on so she thought nothing about it.

However, after a couple of hours had passed and her husband had not come back inside, she went out to check on him. She found him lying unconscious and unresponsive on the ground near the turned over ladder, with the chainsaw several feet away and immediately called 911. Harris County Precinct 4 Constable’s deputies and medical personnel quickly responded, but the man was pronounced dead at the scene. According to the deputies, the victim’s metal saw blade had accidentally contacted a power line running along the home’s property line, which was likely obscured by branches. As he was grounded on the metal ladder, he was instantly electrocuted.

Utility lines, whether electric or natural gas, can present lethal hazards if you happen to inadvertently contact and/or damage them. Sadly, this man died while trying to do a good thing. If you or a loved one is ever injured in a home accident like this one, please consider calling us. We have dealt with all sorts of unusual injuries and untimely deaths over the years and we have the expertise to fully evaluate the circumstances and properly advise you as to your rights and possible remedies.