Garaged Running SUV CO Poisons 7

Just after midnight on Tuesday, September 24th, HFD firefighters were called out to deal with a carbon monoxide, (CO), release at The Reserve condominiums located on Old Farm Road near Westheimer in west Houston. According to an HFD official on the scene, 4 adults and 3 kids living in two adjacent units were adversely affected by the noxious gas and were taken to area hospitals for treatment. All are expected to recover. Initial investigation as to the source of the potentially lethal CO was an SUV which was parked in a closed garage with its engine still running. The vehicle’s engine was cut off and firefighters used exhaust fans to air out the garage and the surrounding two condo units.

As loopy as this incident sounds, it might not be all that strange. Some modern vehicles are equipped with a variant of the “Keyless Go” system used on Mercedes vehicles, which are supposed to cut the vehicle’s engine off in a couple of minutes even though it’s left running when the driver exists the vehicle. (Indeed, this SUV may be a Mercedes). On some occasions, the system has been reported to malfunction, with this sort of incident being the result. If you or a loved one is ever injured in such an incident, please consider calling us. We have dealt with exactly these sorts of cases before and we’re very good at it.