The Brown House
The Cecil and Frances Brown home is pictured soon after its construction in 1938
The Brown House, the home of Cecil and Frances Brown, was designed by Henry A. Stubee, Houston architect, and built in 1938. Constructed across the street from the fig plant, the three-story dwelling was Friendswood's first brick home, with 11-inch exterior walls of masonry and brick, and eight-inch thick plastered interior walls. The Brown House stood in contrast to the rest of the homes in Friendswood for many years.
No cost was spared in building the Brown House. Cecil Brown had experienced the 1900 and 1915 hurricanes. He built a home he felt would withstand similar storms, should they ever occur. The home, which the Brown family first occupied in December 1938, has become a landmark at 312 S. Friendswood Drive.
The Brown House today
In 1999, The Law Firm of Alton C. Todd purchased the home and the additional office building next door. Mr. Todd has remodeled the interior of the house and added elegance and eye-catching features to the exterior landscaping to make his office a spectacular view from the main street in Friendswood and to keep its monumental stature in the city.